Friday 6 June 2014

June Update!

Wow, I can’t believe its June already. Time is flying by! My training is ramping up leading to when Kaylynn and I are going to meet in Victoria to start training in open water. My search for a good wet suit continues. I’ve found a few good ones, I’m just nervous to commit to one….


E-bay does have some decent deals... still can't commit to it.

They’re just so expensive


Oh, student budgets....
Kaylynn and I both arrive in Victoria June 24th, so we’ll hopefully be able to get into open water swimming right away. Kaylynn flies back to Canada on June 10th I believe. Safe travels!!

I’ve been trying to set up our Indiegogo account, finally got it up and running yesterday! For anyone who doesn’t know what Indiegogo is (I didn’t): it’s a sort of crowdsourcing fundraising website where you can help raise money for your fundraiser. In our case, we obviously want people to donate to the cause through the Canadian Cancer Society. However, we need funds for the actual event itself. We need money for fuel, wetsuits and lifesaving equipment. All of these things are expensive and although we have a lot of people willing to donate their time like our lovely yacht Captain and our Lifeguards/paramedic friends, we can’t ask them to pay out of pocket for all of the equipment they need to help us. Indiegogo should be able to help us with these expenses.

The catch to this Indiegogo business is that you need a bank account to put it into, so I went to TD to open a non-profit business account. TD was wonderful and very helpful, but it took about 5 days to activate the account. I felt really important after I set up the account though - I'm the Chairperson. Probably the first and last time I will ever get to say those words! After that, you need to register for either credit card payments or paypal payments (or both). In order to open a paypal account, you need the bank account. In order to set up the paypal account with the Indiegogo page, the paypal account needs to be verified. I thought this process would take a week, maybe 7 business days. Unfortunately I was wrong a vastly underestimated the complexity of this process. I'm happy to report that I managed to get it up and running with minimal blood, sweat, and tears! Hopefully we can start getting some funds to help with our expenses.

Speaking of next week, it’s my convocation! Hurray!

Although hopefully I'm not like Sean Bean, because he dies in everything.


Looking forward to it. Going to be tricky balancing hours of swimming and weight training with family time, eating, sleeping and celebrating. Unfortunately I don’t think I can rely on my usual strategy


Not ALWAYS how I roll... but sometimes. My time-management strategy is a work in progress.

Until next time,


Caryn

No comments:

Post a Comment